In addition to explaining my current process about engaging readers even before the cover reveal, today on the podcast (Listen on Spotify, Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts and more), I dip my toe into the way I use social media, some (very just brushing the surface) of my complicated feelings about social media and the fact that I am still learning how to use it as an author. I even started making Instagram Reels and using TikTok!
A little catch-up
- Happy release day to Jessica Patrick and THIS IS FOR TONIGHT! “When Andi attends a music festival with one goal in mind – capture an interview with a famous band so she can pay for college – she gets more than she bargained for in this YA novel about family ties and finding your own way.”
- Would you like to win a copy of one of L. Penelope’s books? Check out this giveaway.
- Would you like to win a copy of one of Mona Shroff’s books? Check out this giveaway.
- Do you want to leave me a message or ask me a question that I will play on the podcast, click here or leave a comment on this blog post.
Random update and thoughts on social media
I started working pretty early today (well, the day I’m drafting this post) as I need to finish recording an audiobook I got hired for…My to-do list for the day is pretty long and I may be slightly tired because I had one of those wonderful reading moments where you just don’t want to stop reading. I’m currently reading PRETTY LITTLE WIFE by Darby Kane and I told myself I was going to stop at Chapter 11…I read until Chapter 19.
Have you already read it? Any book recommendations for me? Don’t hesitate to either leave me a voicemail or send me an email at either : authorelodienowodazkij AT gmail.com or aselfpublishedauthorsdiary AT gmail.com 🙂
To share my excitement about the book, I even made a reel on Instagram 🙂
Talking about reels, I made my very first one on Friday at a random moment and it got more than 1000 views very quickly. The reel about PRETTY LITTLE WIFE also got more than 1000 views. I also now have a TikTok.
When it comes to using social media as an author, I don’t necessarily know what I’m doing. Maybe because the author part of me is still me? But at the same time, I am not comfortable sharing certain things . As authors, sometimes we’re told we are the brand. And…well…I’m still learning. You hear: be strategic, but be real. Use hashtags but make sure you use the right ones. Post often but not too often. Don’t spend too much time on social media but connect with people.
And right now, for me, it’s not about growing the number of my followers (even though I guess it would be nice), but it’s more to have more engagement on the posts that I do share.
Right now, I am trying new things. I’ll report back. 🙂
Cover reveal and engaging readers…
When it comes to covers, I either design them myself or I hire someone to design them. I’ve designed all my contemporary romance covers. And the Gavert City book covers have all been designed by Najla Qamber.
Seven years ago, I used to book Blog tours for cover reveals. And I’m wondering how much those still help. I need to do a bit more research…
Mid-May or so, I will send an email to my newsletter subscribers asking them to help me choose between the two covers.
My goals are three-fold:
- Get more newsletter subscribers. I’ve announced it on my blog and in my Facebook readers’ group. The reach in that group is very low and I know it’s probably because I do not post consistently enough. It’s easier for me to send emails. And…as mentioned before, I’ve read it is also more efficient.
- Get feedback on which cover readers prefer: Both covers will have the same style and to me it will be interesting to see which one readers prefer.
- Start the buzz...By asking readers for help in choosing the cover reveal, I might get more engagement for the book itself and maybe start the buzz even before the cover reveal.
Author life moment that made me smile last week
I received an email from a reader telling me how much my books have helped distract her through…*waves hands* everything. And knowing that my books have helped someone smile or get lost in the moment in the world that I created definitely made me smile and gave me a boost in my revisions. 🙂
I have two newsletters!
(2) A newsletter for my readers: full of bonus scenes, updates on my books, shows I’m watching, books I’m reading, exclusive giveaways and more…
Click on this link and just add your email and you’ll receive access to a page full of exclusive content! Plus my emails include pictures of my cat and my dog…and they’re pretty adorable…:-)
Let's talk Kindle Vella: metrics, bonus, and why I enjoy writing serialized fiction, too. – A self-published author's diary
- Let's talk Kindle Vella: metrics, bonus, and why I enjoy writing serialized fiction, too.
- BONUS – Three Black Friday Deals For Writers (2022)
- Defining "success" as a self-published author …
- Kickstarter for Authors: What To Do When Your Kickstarter Does Not Get Funded … (and what I would do differently)
- Ten days after my latest book release (sold copies, reviews and what comes next) and a peek inside this author's day on release day.
- Trying out a new book review strategy and SO MANY emotions about the release of #SweetsForLove
- Announcements: Summer Break and Self-Publishing/Writing Ask Me Anything
- Self-publishing reflection: planning and goals (Vella, novellas, marketing and more…)