Dear Book…It’s not you, it’s me

I need to apologize to the book I am currently reading.

It’s just not the relationship it used to be and it is all my fault.

Dear Book,

I am sorry that I am not paying attention to you as I should, or that it is taking me longer to care about the characters. It’s not your fault, it’s mine.

I know you don’t believe me. I see you looking at me with your big dark words. You think I’m just saying it to make you feel better. But it’s true.  I am not ready for a committed relationship  at the moment.

It sounds cliché you say. Please don’t cry. I know you want my fingers on your pages. I promise to come back to you when I feel less distracted. I know I should not be looking at that other book this way but we grew older together. The words on its paper are mine, you see and I recognize their potential. The characters are in my head and they won’t rest until I give them more time.

You are truly a wonderful book and I do love you. I just don’t love you that way yet. Maybe we’ll get there if I give you a try. Maybe you will help me get the voice in my own draft even stronger.

I guess time will tell but in the meantime, please don’t take it personally. I am sure somebody else somewhere already loves you the way you deserve to be loved.

Take care

Elodie

Now tell me 🙂

Do you sometimes get too distracted to really engage in a book ? or how do you deal with revising/reading?

1. moosenoose says:

Haha I really liked that! I do feel guilty when I’m not into a book as much as I should be. This is going to sound crazy but I have a book that I started last year and cannot finish yet. I know it is going to have an incredibly sad ending that will make me cry. It’s about a kitten and I am a softy when it comes to animals. Everytime I see it, I feel the sad kitten eyes following me around the room. I feel so guilty, but I don’t quite have the courage to read it yet. Do I need to be locked away?!

• Elodie says:

I don´t think you need to be locked away 😀 We can get guilty feelings from a lot of different places! I discovered why this book could not get me mesmerized (more in my next post…keeping the suspense)

2. Jaime says:

I definitely have this problem from time to time. I started reading THE SCORPIO RACES by Maggie Stiefvater for Tracey Neithercott’s Fall Book Club and it just wasn’t what I was in the mood for at the time. I can see it sitting on my filing cabinet right now with the bookmark stuck in it halfway through. I gave it the old college try, but when you’re not feeling something, it’s like banging your head against a brick wall trying to plough through it. It’s a good book, don’t get me wrong, I just need to return to it when I’m in the right mood. So long answer short: you are totally not the only one 🙂

• Elodie says:

Sometimes it is about mood…and it does not mean we gave up on a book, just that it is waiting for another day…:-)
      Thanks for sharing Jaime, I am glad to know I´m not the only one feeling that way 😀

3. Robin Moran says:

I’m having that trouble with The Turn of the Screw at the moment. Still trying to get through it; still not into it as much as I thought I would be. I think I’ve made too much of a big deal of it in my head beforehand so now that I’ve started it it’s not meeting my expectations. But I’m determined to finish and not give up on a book!

• Elodie says:

I have not given up 😀 It´s waiting for another chance and it will get it 🙂
      I do have the same problem though sometimes when I am just expecting TOO much from a book 😀

• Elodie says:

Thanks Kelley 😀
      I sometimes skim through a book if I am not into it at all but for this one, I know I can get into it and I need to give it a change to get me 😀 but it will have to wait a little for that magical moment…

4. Eve says:

That was cute. I seem to have the opposite problem as I get lost in the book I’m reading and forget about others things around me. But yes sometimes you are just not in the mood for a certain book, I have stopped a book and moved on to something else, what had my attention even when I was starting something else, and just went back once my mind was able to enjoy it.

• Elodie says:

🙂
      I can also get totally lost in a book (something my hubby still seems to wonder about :D)) but with this one, it´s not the moment yet. I know it will come though…

5. Ha! I should write this letter to the three books I still need to finish. None of them have grabbed me, but I grab them when I have nothing to do. Too bad for them I’ve been busy lately. Sorry books!

6. Pingback: My January books :D « commutinggirl

7. Kris Atkins says:

I definitely get too distracted at times. But I usually write in the afternoons, and read at night (in the bathtub, with a cold soda nearby). They are separated by hours, so they don’t confuse me too much.