This is a bit self serving 🙂 but people have asked how they could help me and I thought instead of answering privately, I’ll do a post to also possibly help other authors out there. This is only what I learned so far…feel free to add more in the comments 🙂 I will then add them to the list to keep a list as updated as possible…
Dahlia shared some of her wisdom the other day on Twitter.
Some people in my non writing/book blogging life have asked me what Goodreads is. Goodreads can help you find new books, keep track of what you´ve read, share your thoughts with your friends…You can sign up here.
- Add the book to a TBR shelf
- If you’re impatient about the book, don’t hesitate to mention it.
- Add the book to lists – this helps raise awareness
- if there is a giveaway with the book, don’t hesitate to enter it and spread the word on Twitter, your blog, Facebook, Google +…
- While reading the book, you can also add quotes, you can update with the way you´re feeling about the book.
- Share those on Twitter or wherever you like
- Rate the book
- Review the book
- Add the book to other lists
Did you know that even if you like a page, it doesn’t mean that you see its posts? There is an algorithm behind it (see here for more information). One can argue one way or another, but to help authors, there are a few things you can do:
- Like their posts: if you enjoy the content don’t hesitate to like it, it will raise the probability of you seeing future post
- Comment on their posts – create a dialogue 🙂
- Share the post on your own timeline.
- Share the page on your own timeline
- Share on Twitter, share everywhere 🙂
3. Google +, Pinterest, Twitter, Instagram, Tumblr…
- Here the key message is share, share, share…the pictures of quotes, the cover of the book you’re reading, a quote you love, anything that gets you excited 🙂
- Anywhere, everywhere…
4. Online retailer
- Leave reviews at Amazon, B&N, other online retailer. This definitely helps.
5. Other ideas (library, book club…)
- Don’t hesitate to ask the author for an interview or for more information about the book.
- Spread the word at your library, request the book, talk about it.
- How about suggesting the book to your book club?
- Gift the book to friends and family (you probably can get a signed copy if you know the author).