What´s Up Wednesday? The “I can’t wait to tell you” edition…

WUW Winter Holly 1

What´s up Wednesday is the brainchild of Jaime and Erin. It´s a weekly meme geared toward readers and writers, allowing us to touch base with blog friends and let them know what’s up. Should you wish to join, make sure to leave a link to your What’s Up Wednesday post in the widget on Jaime´s blog.

What I´m reading

I just started SAVING FRANCESCA by Melina Marchetta. Her book JELLICOE ROAD is one of my favorites (Really, pick it up if you haven´t already read it)
Francesca is stuck at St. Sebastians, a boys’ school that’s pretends it’s coed by giving the girls their own bathroom. Her only female companions are an ultra-feminist, a rumored slut, and an an impossibly dorky accordion player. The boys are no better, from Thomas who specializes in musical burping to Will, the perpetually frowning, smug moron that Francesca can’t seem to stop thinking about.Then there’s Francesca’s mother, who always thinks she knows what’s best for Francesca—until she is suddenly stricken with acute depression, leaving Francesca lost, alone, and without an inkling who she really is. Simultaneously humorous, poignant, and impossible to put down, this is the story of a girl who must summon the strength to save her family, her social life and—hardest of all—herself.

What I’m Writing

I’ve been looking again at ONE TWO THREE, writing a new story and revising DADDY’S LITTLE GIRL.
So busy busy.
Here´s an excerpt – I just added it so it´s not yet edited – from ONE TWO THREE (my YA contemporary romance)

My pointes show wear and tear of the years I’ve used them and no matter how much I scrub, there’s one smudge that doesn’t want to go away. Memories flash back when I slip them on: my father handing me  a bouquet of lilies after each of my recitals, the crew from the School of Performing Arts sneaking out to get ice cream, the summers I spent here with my best friend Becca and my Nana, the hours at the barre, my piano lessons. Everything’s gone.

The pain in my knee is latent, reminding me of what I lost, but I clench my teeth and face the bench using it as my own personal barre.  I slowly bend my knees, keeping them over my toes. Grounding my heels on the floor, I stretch down as much as I can but I don´t make it past a demi-plié.  I warm up for ten minutes, losing myself in the familiar movements. Maybe the doctors got it wrong, maybe I´ll be able to dance on stage again. The stars reflect on the water,  it could be the perfect backdrop for a production of the Swan Lake.

I try a grand jeté, but my foot isn’t angled properly, my knee isn’t used to carrying all my weight. Instead of gracefully landing with my left leg still in the air, I fall on my ass. Air leaves my lungs and the tears I’ve been fighting fall steadily on my face.

What else I´ve been up to

I redesigned my website…and have been working on a few things behind the scenes.
I cannot wait to let you all know what those are.
Stay tuned.
Oh and my hubby decided to grill shashlik in T-shit in January, as one does (they were yummy!)
2014-01-19_1390149825

What inspires me right now

I can’t wait to check all your posts and see what you’ve been up to 🙂

1. katyupperman says:

I know your secret! And I’m so excited for you! I can’t wait for you to share!

I love SAVING FRANCESCA. Not *quite* as much as JELLICOE, but it’s pretty amazing. You should read THE PIPER’S SON soon. Same characters. 🙂

Have a wonderful week, Elodie!

2. Erin Funk says:

What a great excerpt! Your character’s pain and frustration really come through. I’m very jealous that it’s even possible for you guys to barbecue in January. I think our barbecue is buried in a snow drift right now lol. Looking forward to hearing your news!

3. Alexa says:

Love the new layout, it’s gorgeous!

Saving Francesca is my favourite Melinda Marchetta book, I just love it. Definitely read The Piper’s Son too, it’s Tom’s story. There are also rumours that she’s writing Jimmy’s story, which I would love!

Your expert is heartbreaking, and really good 😀

Have a great week.

4. Rebecca says:

Great excerpt, definitely makes me want to read more! Also, the secret news? I am SO intrigued, it’s actually what made me click the link. Keep us updated, OK? Also, enjoy Saving Francesca! It’s an amazing book and Jellicoe Road is an all time favourite if mine 🙂

5. Colin says:

I’ve said it before, but it’s been a while so I’ll say it again, your command of English puts me to shame, Elodie. I know smatterings of other languages, but I’d love to have the command of *one* other that you have of English. Indeed, you write better than many native English speakers, and for that alone you should be well pleased. 🙂 I wish you every success with this story.

6. Exciting news is exciting! *waits with baited breath*

And your excerpt is lovely and heartbreaking. To be able to dance and then lose it like that. I can’t even imagine how difficult that would be.

Hope you have an amazing week!

7. Rebekah says:

Great excerpt! And I’m curious, excited to hear your coming news! I love the blog redesign, it’s cute and fun, with tons of personality. Have an awesome week!

8. Jaime Morrow says:

As you know, I love the secret news! 😀 And I love the new excerpt, too! There’s a lot emotion there and you can really tell how hard it is for Nata not to be able to really dance anymore.

I’ve only read FINNIKIN OF THE ROCK and JELLICOE ROAD by Marchetta, but I loved both of them. Which reminds me that I need to move on to FROI OF THE EXILES. I’m in a total sci-fi and fantasy mode right now. 🙂

9. Kate Scott says:

I really liked your excerpt. I took dance growing up and although I was never all that good, I still felt a connection with the character.

And SAVING FRANCESCA, love that book! Even though my HS was far more co-ed than Francesca’s, I still had more male than female friends as a teen. So I always love YA books with male/female friendships not just romance. And Marchetta is such a fabulous author she tells every story well.

10. Thank you for sharing the excerpt. Lovely! We are BBQing in January too, in shorts and t-shirts, but we live in CA and are having an exceptionally warm winter. I would not have thought you could do the same in Germany! How nice!

11. Meredith says:

Oooh, secrets!! I’m dying to know, Elodie! And I’m not sure if I’ve ever told you, but ONE TWO THREE sounds so awesome. Dance books are always a win in my mind, so I can’t wait to read yours someday. 🙂

12. Angel Leigh says:

Hiya

I’m checking you the books you are reading. A while back I wanted to read Jellicoe Road but didn’t get to it. Hopefully this year.

Love your excerpt. Your character comes across as determined, and in pain. Great piece.

Angel

13. Kim Graff says:

I love your layout! I also loved Melina Marchetta’s Finnikin of the Rock series. I didn’t know she wrote a more contemporary novel, but that sounds really interesting. I’m going to have to read ASAP.