I haven’t done a “What’s Up Wednesday” in years. Literally. Since 2015 based on my post. And Jaime and Erin no longer blog, but I remember how fun those posts were and also how cute their designs were. I’ve added a few catergories…
What I’m reading
I am trying to carve time for the amazing book that is WILD WOMEN AND THE BLUES by Denny S. Bryce. It is really oh so good.
In a stirring and impeccably researched novel of Jazz-age Chicago in all its vibrant life, two stories intertwine nearly a hundred years apart, as a chorus girl and a film student deal with loss, forgiveness, and love…in all its joy, sadness, and imperfections.
“Why would I talk to you about my life? I don’t know you, and even if I did, I don’t tell my story to just any boy with long hair, who probably smokes weed.You wanna hear about me. You gotta tell me something about you. To make this worth my while.”
1925: Chicago is the jazz capital of the world, and the Dreamland Café is the ritziest black-and-tan club in town. Honoree Dalcour is a sharecropper’s daughter, willing to work hard and dance every night on her way to the top. Dreamland offers a path to the good life, socializing with celebrities like Louis Armstrong and filmmaker Oscar Micheaux. But Chicago is also awash in bootleg whiskey, gambling, and gangsters. And a young woman driven by ambition might risk more than she can stand to lose.
2015: Film student Sawyer Hayes arrives at the bedside of 110-year-old Honoree Dalcour, still reeling from a devastating loss that has taken him right to the brink. Sawyer has rested all his hope on this frail but formidable woman, the only living link to the legendary Oscar Micheaux. If he’s right—if she can fill in the blanks in his research, perhaps he can complete his thesis and begin a new chapter in his life. But the links Honoree makes are not ones he’s expecting . . .
Piece by piece, Honoree reveals her past and her secrets, while Sawyer fights tooth and nail to keep his. It’s a story of courage and ambition, hot jazz and illicit passions. And as past meets present, for Honoree, it’s a final chance to be truly heard and seen before it’s too late. No matter the cost . . .
What I’m watching
The Chemical Engineer and I are currently watching FOR ALL MANKIND.
In an alternative version of 1969, the Soviet Union beats the United States to the Moon, and the space race continues on for decades with still grander challenges and goals.
We are on the last episode of Season 2, I think. Below if the trailer for season 1.
And we are also watching The Lost Pirate Kingdom on Netflix: The Lost Pirate Kingdom is a 2021 docuseries released by Netflix. This historical drama portrays the rise and fall of the eponymous early-18th century pirate republic based in Nassau, Bahamas. The series begins in 1715, shortly after the close of the War of the Spanish Succession, which pitted England against Spain. England had waged the war on the cheap, resorting to the use of privateers rather than incurring the expense of fully funding the Royal Navy. (Source: Wikipedia)
What I’m listening to:
I’m currently listening to several podcasts pretty regularly. Here are three of them.
- My Imaginary Friends with L. Penelope: The My Imaginary Friends podcast is a weekly, behind the scenes look at the journey of a working author navigating traditional and self-publishing.
- True Crime Obsessed: True Crime Obsessed Recapping True Crime Documentaries with Humor, Sass, and a well timed Garbage Bell!
- The Murder Squad: Jensen & Holes: EACH WEEK RIDE SHOTGUN with retired cold case investigator Paul Holes and investigative journalist Billy Jensen as they attempt to solve an unsolved murder case using a variety of methods, from routine shoe-leather work to advanced technologies like familial DNA searches and social media geotargeting.
What I’m writing
Revising #TheLeftoverBride…Part of this revision is adding 2 chapters of a Christmas Tree Lightning…And let me tell you: Sorcha and Ryan are pretty cute and those chapters are going to be very fun and Christmas-y. 🙂 And I’m getting some of my inspiration for those scenes from having gone to the Chincoteague Christmas Parade years ago…And some of the vendors on the way to the parade may be inspired by all the delicious food at the Christmas markets in Germany.
You can already pre-order #TheLeftoverBride for only $0.99. Choose your favorite e-retailer here: https://books2read.com/TheLeftoverBride!
What I’m working on:
In addition to #TheLeftoverBride, quite a few things. You can hear details on my podcast: “A Self-Published Author’s Diary“. For example, I added the first almost 40 minutes of the A SUMMER LIKE NO OTHER audiobook on YouTube…
Would love to hear what you’re waching, listening to, reading or writing these days! Let me know in the comments!
Thank you so much!
Announcements: Summer Break and Self-Publishing/Writing Ask Me Anything – A self-published author's diary
- Announcements: Summer Break and Self-Publishing/Writing Ask Me Anything
- Self-publishing reflection: planning and goals (Vella, novellas, marketing and more…)
- REPLAY – How my self-published book A SUMMER LIKE NO OTHER became a success…
- Ep. 62 – The ups and downs of self-publishing (including the words every romance author wants to hear…)
- Ep. 61 – My BargainBooksy and AudioThicket recap, the "need" to write and more…