A heart of words…

This month (well until my honeymoon :D), I will be participating in Blogme MAYbe. This wonderful idea is the brainchild of SaraMcClung and is a weekly blog format with an easy schedule to follow. For more information and join the fun (you can at any time!), simply click on the banner created by the super-duper-talented Tracey. On Mondays, I am happy to tell you a bit about my writing….

PLAYING WITH FIRE is a long time in the making. I have changed the story many times along the way, stretching myself as I improved it. I am learning a lot throughout this process. I am currently going through a last round of revisions before editing and then it´s off to my beta readers. My goal is to finish this before flying off to my honeymoon.

I had a little fun with my text and here are the words I use the most often 😀 (I am really going to have to check how to reduce the number of times I used “look”)

If you want to do the same, I used the website Tagxedo

What words do you know you use a lot while writing?

Or which words do you believe authors just love to add to their texts?

1. This was an awesome idea! I’ve been using a site (Wordle.net) for a few years now for things like this, but it never occurred to me to toss my entire MS in there for a visual statistic like this! 🙂

• Elodie Nowodazkij says:

Thanks Ian 😀 I quite enjoyed getting the stats on the words I am using the most often – some of them will need to go 😀 Others make a lot of sense, and it gives a nice flavor of the MS 😀

• Elodie Nowodazkij says:

I wonder if I didnt see it on your blog. I wanted to link it to the blog I had discovered this on and I was sure it was Alisons but now that you mention it, it has to be you! Ill link you to it soon 😀

• Elodie Nowodazkij says:

Funny to see, no? 😀 Some words make a lot of sense but for others, I know I might have to hunt them down a bit…

2. katyupperman says:

Aww, love the heart shape! I’m going to do this with my finished manuscript and hopefully share it on another Share Something About Writing day… Thanks for sharing, Elodie!

• Elodie Nowodazkij says:

Thanks, Katy 😀 You should totally do it, Id love to see the words which end up making your clouds…

3. Temre Beltz says:

Thanks, Elodie! I love this idea, and I definitely want to try it out. Although I am a bit worried that “just” and “though” will pop up way too much! Trying to work on those pesky words that always seem to find their way in 🙂

• Elodie Nowodazkij says:

😀 Those words do come quite handy when we write, dont they?…You should still totally do it, Id love to see the results. Plus its fun 😀

4. elschneider says:

Love the idea, Elodie! I’ll have to give this a whirl when I get home…although, a tad worried about what words will float to the top for me – I’m sure “look” will be in there as well!

• Elodie Nowodazkij says:

Thanks 😀 well “look” is one of those words I seem to overuse but its nice to see it visually, you know :D…Id love to see the result of your cloud!

5. I love Wordle-y stuff! Of course, I have this sad feeling that if I do this, writing from a guys point of view, that a particular part of the female anatomy may pop up big and bold. Either that or his main love interest.

Great post, Elodie! And best of luck with those revisions!

• Elodie Nowodazkij says:

Thanks Alison! 😀 And I think a cloud of your MS would be highly entertaining…You know guys and their thoughts 😀

6. That is awesome! What a great post. It sounds like you’ve put a lot of hard work into your MS and I wish you the very best!

BTW, I love this thing. Thanks so much for sharing it. I was super happy to find out that I didn’t have very many “ly” or “ing” words in mine! Woot! Woot!

• Elodie Nowodazkij says:

Thanks Miranda 😀 This MS is really close to my heart after so many years and I was somehow relieved to start working on something else. You know, to realize that I did have other stories in me 😀 Congrats on having too many -ly or -ing words! I know I tend to use them quite a bit 😀