YA Highway is a great place. I usually look around, read some posts and comments, just dipping my toe in the water but today I decided to dive right into it for “Road Trip Wednesday”. Road Trip Wednesday is a “Blog Carnival,” where YA Highway’s contributors post a weekly writing- or reading-related question that begs to be answered. The question this week made me smile and reflect.
Are you ready to find out what my writing superpowers are? How about my kryptonite?
Interesting take – superpowers…My MC has some she is not aware of, some other characters in
my WIP may not have superpowers per se but their their true nature with their qualities and their issues is a power on its own.
What about me as a writer?
My kryptonite(s) (yeah I may have several if I am brutally honest with myself):
– Fear that my English is just not good enough. English is not my mother tongue and sometimes it makes me insecure about the words/expression I may use.
– Time. I know it´s an elusive concept and my superpowers find a solution to this particular kryptonite but still, I just wish I could sit down hours at a time and just type away. I don´t do that enough.
– Showing vs telling. Why? Well because right now this is the topic which bothers me, which I am improving day by day but I know when I will finally be in the revising stage that there WILL indeed be revising to be done on that front 🙂
– Dialogues. I can make them flow. The voices are real and they just work. I am grateful for that
– Plot and subplot. I have several subplots in my WIP but they all serve THE plot. They do not appear to be out of control (yet) and I can still remember little details so that I do not contradict myself between one subplot and the other.
– Patience – this goes back to my kryptonite “time”. I know I cannot dedicate more than a certain amount of time to writing per day and that´s ok because my goals are realistic and step by step I am getting there.
– Love,passion and dedication (they all go into the same superpower pack :-)) I love writing, I simply do (with the ups and the downs)
So what is YOUR kryptonite? And what are your superpowers? Don´t forget to let the other
peeps at YA Highway know!