Road Trip Wednesday is a ‘Blog Carnival,’ where YA Highway’s contributors post a weekly writing- or reading-related question and answer it on our own blogs. You can hop from destination to destination and get everybody’s unique take on the topic.
This Week’s Topic: In preparation for our Bookmobile discussion of Kody Keplinger’s A MIDSUMMER’S NIGHTMARE, how did you spend/how will you spend the summer after graduation?
In France, we don´t really have a graduation: no ceremony at school, no wearing a cap and gown, no big prom celebrating the end of the year. What we do have are those really hard exams called Baccalauréat. During the last two years of High School, depending on your major, you have to take national exams on many. many, many subjects. I went to pick up my results with my dad…I still remember searching my name in the pass section. I was there and with honors (yay!).
The month of July after my High School graduation was spent working where my dad worked, filing a lot and in August, I think I went on holidays with my parents there (it´s in the Pyrenees, close to Spain and we used to go every winter and every summer) :
And then I went to spend some time at my sister´s (also in the South but close to St-Tropez)
Some very random memories from this particular summer:
- The pair of the jeans of the girl I was working with. She had kind of expensive jeans and I thought maybe I could buy some like hers with my money. I never did.
- It was hot in the small office but the radio we listened to made me smile very often.
- Feeling all grown-up going in to work with my dad – I babysat before but this was different somehow…
- Getting drunk for the first time (17/18 was kind of a late bloomer) –> and at the age of 30, I still wonder if it´s ok for my parents to read this even though I´ve gotten a tad too much to drink a bit more since then!
- Turning 18 (I still have the empty bottle of Champagne from that day, it was biiiig)
- Spending fun times with my sister in the South
- Waiting to hear from US families as I wanted to go as an au pair. I actually ended up going to the US only the next year and starting university first.
- Getting my driver license the day after turning 18
So tell me, what was your very first job?