We all juggle. We all have responsibilities. No matter what they are and while sometimes I wonder why I didn´t decide I wanted to take writing seriously when I had less on my plate, I do find time to write now. We all do. More or less but we still do. We also find the time to read. We go through the balancing act.
My time is my commute. However, my commute does take a toll on me. The train gets late, cancelled. I also have to take the bus to the to the train so I rush between the bus and the train. I run. I curse. I get annoyed. I don´t always find the silver lining. So this week I am renting a car to see how long it would actually take me to drive to work instead of taking public transportation, to see if I can gain time. According to my friend Google Map which includes Traffic estimation, I could gain 30 to 45 minutes each way. Crazy.
My day currently looks like this:
- 5am: Wake up
- 5am-5.30am: work out in front of Friends (this gets me going and makes me laugh – always a plus)
- 5.30-6.42: get ready (breakfast, shower, coffee, get snacks, kindle, ipod, netbook ready) and leave the house
- 6.42am: walk to bus station (or be driven by hubby – if he´s not already gone working out)
- 6.52am: Bus
- 7.06am: Train (aka writing + reading time)
- 7.47am: Metro
- 8.00am: At my desk at work
- 5.30pm or 6pm (sometimes later): leave office – train – bus (writing and reading in the train again)
- Get home between 6.45pm and 7.45pm and then dinner, time with hubby and sleep…
Yes, it is busy but on most days, the train time gets me about 1 hour of writing/revising or undivided reading time. Soon, I may decide that driving does get me more time at home, aka more time with the hubby…I can rearrange my schedule to write more in the morning before leaving, or during my lunch break or I could write in bed.
But I know that I will find the time to write because, really, I just don´t see myself not writing or revising…Writing/Revising/Reading is part of my balancing act. It´s part of who I am.
How do you balance everything? Anybody else tried to write in bed?